- To provide the residents of Nassau County with the highest quality of medical-legal investigation into the cause and manner of deaths in Nassau County that are within the jurisdiction of the Medical Examiner.
- To advance our collaborative working relationship with Nassau County's legal and criminal justice systems by providing state of the art forensic testing services and cutting-edge toxicology and histology lab services.
- To provide timely, thorough and accurate scientific death investigation which, in turn, serves to provide the public and the courts with confidence in correct death certifications.
- To protect the public from criminal activity, health hazards, and unsafe environments by conducting such death investigations and issuing proper death certifications.
- To investigate deaths of anyone who dies in Nassau County from sudden, unexpected, suspicious, violent, unnatural, unusual or unattended death. Such cases fall within the jurisdiction of the Medical Examiner.
- To review all cases where cremation of the body of a decedent has been requested and ensure compliance with necessary protocols before permission is granted.
- To accurately record all necessary demographic and cause of death information on death certificates and in the Electronic Death Registration System maintained by New York State.
The Medical Examiner's Office is located in the town of East Meadow on the campus of Nassau University Medical Center.
Team of Staff
The Medical Examiner's Office is staffed by a team of physicians who are board certified forensic pathologists. In addition, we have DNA, toxicology, histology scientists, forensic pathology assistants, and forensic medical investigators who are all highly trained in their unique disciplines.