Voting Info & Services
How to Register to Vote
Qualifications to Register To Vote
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
- Live at your present address at least 30 days before an election;
- Not be in jail or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship); and
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere
How and Where to Register To Vote
You can register in person at the:
Nassau County Board of Elections
240 Old Country Rd (5th Floor)
Mineola, NY 11501 or at any New York State Agency-Based voter registration center.
You can call our 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter application; or
You can download a PDF version of the New York State Voter Registration Form (English Form (PDF) or Spanish Form (PDF). Print the form, complete and sign it, and mail it to us at:
Nassau County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 9002
Mineola, NY 11501
You can voluntarily enroll in any party by indicating your preference on the voter registration form. If you wish to change your enrollment from one party to another or from not-enrolled to a party, send a Voter Registration Form with your new choice to the Board of Elections. The Board will notify you when the change takes place, by Law, after the next general election. Forms can be located below.
If you have moved since you last registered to vote, complete a new registration form and indicate on the form your new address as well as your old address. Address changes cannot be made over the phone. The Board will mail you a confirmation after the information is updated.
Voting by Absentee Ballot
If you are unable to be physically present in Nassau County on Election Day, you may apply for an absentee ballot
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot
- Unavoidably absent from Nassau County on Election Day
- Unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability
- A patient in a Veterans' Administration Hospital
- Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony
Applications for Absentee Ballots are available below. You may also download a version of the New York State Absentee Ballot Application Form (PDF)
- Upon completion, applications must be mailed to your county board no later than the seventh day before the election or delivered in person no later than the day before the election. See Political Calendar for more information.
- You may also request an Absentee Ballot by sending a letter to your county board of elections. The letter must be received by your county board no earlier than 30 days and no later than seven days before the election. The letter must contain the following information:
- The address where you are registered;
- An address where the ballot is to be sent;
- The reason for the request; and
- The signature of the voter
An application form will be mailed with your ballot. The application form must be completed and returned with your ballot. If you cannot pick up your ballot, or will not be able to receive it through the mail, you have the right to designate someone to pick it up for you. Only that person designated on your application may pick up and deliver your ballot.
If you are permanently ill or disabled, you have the right to receive an Absentee Ballot for each subsequent election without further application. Simply file an application with the Board of Elections containing a statement which describes the particulars of your illness or disability. The Board will review the facts stated, and if satisfied, will mark your registration record. You will then automatically receive an Absentee Ballot for every election until your registration is canceled.
Voter Registration Search
Not sure if you are registered? Voters who are unsure of their registration status may either call the Nassau County Board of Elections at 571-VOTE (8683) or search the State Board of Elections database.
VOTER REGISTRATION FORM (PDF) (English)
VOTER REGISTRATION FORM (PDF) (Spanish)
ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATION (PDF) (English)
ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATION (PDF) (Spanish)