Healthy Moms and Babies
Prenatal (during pregnancy) Resources
Pregnancy & COVID-19
Pregnancy is an exciting and sometimes stressful experience. Being pregnant during a disease outbreak may add extra anxiety and concern for you and those you care about who are pregnant.
According to the CDC, pregnant people do not appear to be at greater risk of getting COVID-19 but may get sicker when infected with COVID-19. Due to changes that occur during pregnancy, pregnant people may be more susceptible to viral respiratory infections. The most important thing you can do is to protect yourself from getting sick. This includes getting the COVID-19 vaccine even if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or currently breastfeeding.
For more information, please visit the NYS Pregnancy & COVID-19 Website.
Click here for information on health care coverage options that are available for pregnant women and all residents of Nassau County who are looking for access to health care.
Perinatal (after pregnancy) Resources
Nassau County Department of Health Perinatal Services (516) 227-9422
Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders
YOU ARE NOT ALONE
Are you pregnant or have you had a baby in the past year? Have you been crying a lot? Feeling very tired? Not sleeping or sleeping too much? Have you been feeling overwhelmed? Irritable or angry? Anxious? Guilty or worthless? Do you sometimes have thoughts about yourself or your baby that make you worried or afraid? Do you know a mother-to-be or new mother struggling with issues like these?
THERE IS HELP YOU CAN CALL:
Find Breastfeeding Support
At times, breastfeeding can be challenging. Remember that most issues with breastfeeding are temporary and can be solved. There are people who can help you. Talk with your health care provider or use the links below or on the left to find the support you need.
- USDA WIC Breastfeeding Support: This website was designed to equip breastfeeding parents with the information, resources and support they need to successfully breastfeed.
- Nassau County Department of Health WIC: Breastfeeding support and education are available to WIC participants and is provided by Peer Counselors and an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
- La Leche League of New York: Find local support, encouragement, education and information.
- Baby Café USA: Trained staff provide support for expectant and breastfeeding parents. Parents can share their experiences with other parents.
- New York Statewide Breastfeeding Coalition: This coalition is an advocacy, not-for-profit statewide organization of lactation consultants, health care providers, regional breastfeeding coalitions and major statewide maternal and child health organizations.
Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention Program (516)-227-9593 This program provides case management services for pregnant and parenting women who have hepatitis B infection in order to prevent its spread to their newborn infants.
About 90 babies die each year in New York State from sleep-related causes. Right from the start, help your baby sleep safely every time sleep begins.
Follow to ABC’s of Safe Sleep: ALONE, BACK, CRIB
Cribs for Kids: The Nassau County Cribs for Kids chapter, via community partners, provides those that are eligible with a Graco Pack 'n Play and safe sleep survival kit that is delivered to the recipient's home at no charge. To learn more, click here.
WIC provides nutritious foods as well as nutrition counseling and education for pregnant women, children up to 5 years old, mothers of babies up to 6 months old, breastfeeding mothers of babies up to 12 months old.
To learn more about WIC, click here.